Saturday, September 5, 2009

The Art and Collections of Pat Labella



“Paper artist... altered art crafter... thrift store and vintage junkie... health conscious baby boomer... Buffalo native now living in the Vegas desert,” Pat Labella

I usually try to write about what I feel from an artist’s work, their passions, their love of life, their medium, but after reading Pat’s biography from her online shops, I could not write it any better. I have decided to quote from those biographies. Why try to edit or rewrite something that needs no editing or rewriting?

Her biography from her VintageIntent shop states…”Collections come and collections go. Once the excitement of the hunt wears off, it's on to something new. I search, I find, I enjoy. Then I move on. Oh, there are a few collections that I'll probably keep forever, but for the most part, I'll eventually turn them over to someone else to enjoy…Garage sales were a weekly tradition where I could find wonderful antiques and older collectibles. Now that I've moved to the sunny southwest I travel around to the three or four thrift stores on a weekly basis, and sometimes I get lucky. Through this studio I'm now able to pass some of these treasures on to you.” (You get my drift.)



I will say that you need to check out all her blogs especially the Better Bones blog. Read the Dog’s Prayer. We have always had pets. At one time we had three cats and three dogs. We now have one cat and two dogs. Her blog tugged at my heart strings. Those memories will never fade.

Enjoy this interview. And let her know your passions in life.

How did you get your start in the world of art?
I have been crafting since I was a little girl. I remember making cards, clay projects, knitting, crocheting, and making candles with my mother. I was always saving throw-aways that I thought might be used for some creative expressions. But it wasn't until about 10 years ago that I took this hobby seriously and began crafting in earnest, for myself, and to offer my creations on line. I started selling my vintage inspired greeting cards on Etsy and Ebay, and have since expanded my inventory to include many other projects that I enjoy. I love using paper and recycled objects in my artwork. That has never changed. The interests of that little girl many years ago are still surfacing in my modern day crafting.



Do you have a ritual you perform before you start creating?
Well, I don't always have the neatest studio, so I usually have to clean up from my last project prior to starting a new one!

What do you like best, the creative process or the final creation?
Both. I love formulating a design in my head, but when I start working, the project usually morphs into something that is no where near my original concept. The final creation is often a pleasant surprise.

What are your favorite art media, tools, and supplies?
That's a tough question, because I'm a gadget junkie. I love working with paper, so I have 3 different die cut tools - Spellbinder Wizard is my favorite, followed closely by Quikutz and my little Sisix Sidekick. I have three sizes of Xyron machines to fit any size paper I want (would you believe I'm thinking about a 4th!). My newest gadget is the Zutter Bind-it-All.



When a creative block happens, what process do you go through to get the creative juices flowing again?
I usually figure it's just time to back off and do something else for a while. There's always work around the house, shopping for new craft supplies, reading craft books, and watching the food network! After a while, new ideas start popping up and I'm back in the swing.

What do you hope your art says about you?
I try to infuse my love of life into all my work. I often use subtle or off beat humor in my creations.

What is your greatest dream and greatest fear as an artist?
No fears - I do what I like. As for a dream - I'd love to have a studio large enough to be able to leave everything out in the open to play whenever I want.



What are your goals in art, and in life?
As I look forward to retirement, I realize many of my life goals have been reached. Education, marriage, family and career. But this is certainly not a time to sit back and reflect on the past without looking forward to the future as well. I live a lifestyle that will hopefully keep me healthy and active for the next 30 or more years. I still would like to start my own business in the pet or craft marketplace. And there's still plenty of places I'd like to visit.

Tell us a little bit about yourself—where you grew up, your life now, other creative pursuits, other interests and hobbies.
I was born in Buffalo, New York. Western New York is actually a beautiful area with gorgeous summers and winters filled with cold weather fun. Skiing and ice skating were great! I lived in the area for 50 years - graduated collage with a BS in Medical Technology, married and raised a family there. Then we did a complete turn around and moved to Las Vegas in 1999.



I love all kinds of animals. We've always had dogs and/or cats. We presently have our 6th Siberian Husky and tropical fish. I work full time in a hospital lab. I enjoy cooking with natural foods and try to keep my physical activity up by exercising, biking and power walking.

Do you have more than one shop(s), and/or a blog?
I have 4 blogs:
http://cardsbypatzee.blogspot.com
http://vintageintent.blogspot.com
http://yearsdontcount.blogspot.com
http://betterbones.blogsppot.com

I have 4 shops:
http://cardsbypatzee.artfire.com
http://vintageintent.artfire.com
http://betterbones.artfire.com
http://thriftstoresupplies.etsy.com

Thanks for taking the time to get to know me.

1 comment:

  1. Nice post Aletha! Its a great way to get know Pat from CardsbyPatzee more.

    ReplyDelete